A cold cucumber tomato salad is a nice bright salad to offset a fatty cut of meat cooked over a fire. It is especially nice on a warm summer day.
The trick to being able to make this at your campsite is getting fresh herbs out there intact.
If you take them and flatten them out a little, roll them up in a wet paper towel, then put them into a large zip-top bag, they should hold up just fine in your cooler for a couple of days.
Also, you should peel cucumbers that you get from the grocery store. The peels can have a wax layer on them and potentially have absorbed pesticides.
If you buy your cucumbers at the grocery store instead of a farmer’s market or growing it yourself, don’t forget to bring a vegetable peeler with you.
Cucumber Tomato Salad
- 2 12 oz. Cucumbers
- 4 Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Red onion – (finely chopped)
- 2 tbs. Cilantro – (chopped)
- 2 tbs. Basil – (chopped)
- 2 tbs. Lemon juice
- 1 tbs. Olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. Morton's Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp. Black pepper
Before You Leave Home
- Wrap herbs in a wet paper towel and place in a zip-top bag. Store in refrigerator until you're ready to put in your cooler for your trip.
At the Campsite
- Peel cucumber.
- Dice tomatoes and cucumbers. Finely chop onion. Mince cilantro and basil.
- Place all ingredients into a large bowl and mix thoroughly.