This loaded baked potato salad is a perfect side for making at home and tossing in your ice chest on the way out the door to go camping.
What it isn’t is diet food.
You’re going camping though and you’re going to do a bunch of hiking, so it doesn’t matter. You’ll work it off.
The key to this recipe is the toppings, and you can’t have too much bacon. We call for twelve-ounces, which is a lot, but a pound is even better.
Learn to make your own homemade bacon.
Mix your toppings together and toss them in a zip-top bag or resealable container and it’ll be easy to manage at the campsite.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 3 tsp. Morton's Kosher Salt – divided
- 2 lb. small red potatoes – cut into 1/2" cubes
- 4 lg. boiled eggs – chopped
- 12 oz. bacon – cooked and crumbled (1/3 reserved for garnish)
- 1 dill pickle – diced small – Claussen is our favorite
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise – Duke's is the best
- 1 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese – shredded (1/2 cup reserved for garnish)
- 2/3 cup green onions – chopped (1/3 reserved for garnish)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
This Recipe Can Be Made Entirely At Home
- In a large pot of water, add 2 teaspoons of salt and the diced potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes.
- In another pot of water add eggs and turn on heat to boil (a pinprick in the top of an egg prior to boiling makes it easier to peel). Bring to a rolling boil, then turn off heat and let sit for 12 minutes.
- Drain both. Rinse potatoes with cool tap water until room temperature. Put eggs in an ice-water bath to cool.
- Fry bacon until crispy and drain on a paper towel.
- Once cool, peel and chop the eggs.
- In a mixing bowl, add the mayo, sour cream, crumbled bacon, boiled eggs, chopped pickle, green onions, cheddar cheese, the remaining salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Add the potatoes and mix again.
- Top with shredded cheddar, chopped green onions, crumbled bacon and serve. (Or place in resealable container and refrigerate until ready to serve)
Subscribe to our mailing list and get interesting stuff and updates to your email inbox.