Making pie iron pizza is taking your campfire pie iron cooking to the next level. Sometimes eating plain old grilled cheese just isn’t enough to satisfy after a long day outdoors.
This recipe, with almost no prep-work, is easy to customize to your taste and will keep the kids busy with assembly.
With the right ingredients, it can also be a heck of a lot healthier than those preservative filled, chemical pies you find in the frozen foods section at the grocery store.
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Serves: 4 (four pizzas)
- 1 pre-made refrigerated pizza crust (the kind in the can works awesome)
- ½ cup spaghetti sauce (whatever your favorite type is)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices of pepperoni (more if you like a lot of pepperoni)
- butter for greasing your pie irons
- square pie irons, wooden cutting board, butter knife and hot pads
Other Pizza Filling Ideas:
- Sausage (cook separately before using)
- Canadian Bacon
- Chicken (cook separately before using)
- Black Olives
- Artichoke Hearts
- Basil Leaves
Before You Leave Home
All you need to do is buy your ingredients. You’ll do all of your assembly at your campsite.
Cooking Your Pie Iron Pizza
First, you’ll need a good hot fire. Wood, charcoal or gas will work just fine. Just make sure you’ve given your fire enough time to get going (burned down to hot coals for charcoal and wood) before you start putting your pie iron pizzas together.
Once your fire is hot, you’ll need to pre-heat your pie irons before you start assembling the pizzas.
Next, lay out your pizza dough and cut it into squares slightly larger than the inside of your pie irons.
Don’t worry if it isn’t perfect. The pizza dough can be stretched and shaped however you want.
You’ll want eight squares for this recipe.
After that, start adding your fillings. I started with my mozzarella cheese here, but starting with your sauce works too.
Add a good sprinkle of mozzarella and about 2 tablespoons of spaghetti each to four squares of your pizza dough.
Add four slices of pepperoni to each square of dough.
Throw another sprinkle of cheese on top of that.
Now, take your other four pieces of dough and put them on top.
Gently use a fork or your fingers to push down the edges to seal the fillings in your pizza dough. Be careful when you’re doing this so that you don’t squirt the filling out.
Now, take your hot pie irons and open them up on a heat resistant surface. Add a bit of butter to each side so the dough doesn’t stick.
Now, carefully place your assembled pizzas in your pie irons and close them up (this probably isn’t a good step for the kids to be involved in). They should start sizzling immediately.
Take your pie irons and cook for approximately 3 minutes on each side. Be careful to move it around in the fire a little bit so you don’t get hot-spots.
Explore more pie iron recipes.
Once fully cooked, take your pie irons out of the fire and flip the pizzas out onto a wood cutting board. They’ll be hot like lava, so be careful (molten cheese isn’t fun on your face or your hands).
Once cool enough to eat, dig in!
Pie Iron Pizza
- 1 can Pre-made pizza crust
- 1/2 cup Spaghetti sauce - – whatever kind tastes best to you
- 1 cup Shredded mozzarella cheese
- 16 slices Pepperoni - or more
- Butter - for greasing your pie irons
- Get your fire going good and hot.
- Pre-heat your pie irons.
- Lay out your pizza dough and cut into eight squares approximately the same size as your pie irons.
- Add a sprinkle of mozzarella and two tablespoons of spaghetti sauce each to four pizza dough squares.
- Add four pepperoni slices each (or more) to the four squares you just added cheese and sauce too.
- Sprinkle more cheese on top of that.
- Gently place your four unused pieces of pizza dough on top of that.
- Gently use your fingers or a fork to push down the edges to seal in the fillings.
- Open up your preheated pie irons and add a little butter to each side so that the dough doesn’t stick.
- Carefully place your assembled pizzas in each and close your pie irons.
- Cook each side of your pie irons for approximately three minutes each.
- Open open your pie irons and flip each pizza out on your cutting board.
- Let cool a bit and enjoy.